Personal Injuries In A DUI Accident
When a drunk driver causes an accident that injures or kills a loved one, what are your remedies? The initial shock is often paralyzing, and it’s hard to know where to turn.
A prosecutor will handle the criminal case. However, you need an understanding legal team to pursue civil monetary damages that will hold the individual responsible. Our team of attorneys knows the courtroom and how a criminal case will affect the civil case. We will hold the responsible individual to account and represent your best interests.
What You Need To Do
Following a serious accident, the first step is to immediately dial 911. Then ask a loved one to come to the scene of the accident to be with you.
Never allow the person who hit you to leave the scene after giving you their contact information. It is important to wait for the police so that alcohol or drug tests can be completed when there is any indication of impairment.
Adrenaline after a crash may delay the onset of pain, which makes it even more important to get checked out by an EMT and/or ER physician and accept treatment. Follow up on recommendations with your doctor.
Here are some other things to do after a crash:
- Provide the police officer a statement of what happened.
- Get a case number, and follow up to request a copy of the police report.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Jot down any recollections. Drawing a sketch of the scene can also help when recounting the accident.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Track all your expenses, and keep receipts or other documentation.
Do not provide a statement to an insurance adjuster or sign any paperwork at the scene of the accident or soon after an accident.