Proven Defense Against Drug Possession Charges
It is impossible to overstate how serious your situation is if you have been accused of drug possession, especially at the federal level. The prosecution will pull out all the stops in an effort to achieve a guilty verdict and saddle you with a harsh sentence.
With your future on the line, you cannot afford to be without proven legal representation. In Indianapolis and elsewhere in Indiana, you can turn to the experienced defense lawyers of Hayes Ruemmele LLC for the aggressive defense you need. We are no strangers to federal drug cases and can use our experience to limit your exposure to harsh penalties such as prison time, fines and the collateral consequences that come with a criminal record.
What Makes A Possession Charge Federal?
Make no mistake about it: all possession charges are serious. However, the following factors can take a possession charge into federal jurisdiction and put you in the crosshairs of federal prosecutors:
- Your arrest took place on federal property such as the grounds of a federal building
- You crossed state lines in the course of your alleged possession defense
- A federal authority such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) was responsible for your investigation and/or arrest
- The drugs in question were obtained via mail
- A federal information provided information crucial to building the case for an indictment
Crimes involving marijuana are often brought by federal authorities even if they take place in a jurisdiction where marijuana possession has been decriminalized or legalized. Remember, marijuana is still illegal as far as the feds are concerned.
Whether you have been arrested, indicted or have reason to believe you are under investigation, the answer is the same: call 317-491-1050 to schedule a consultation with an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer from our firm.