Over 50 Years of Experience
Our collaborative approach allows us to see a case from various angles to identify all legal defenses.
Current Employment Position
- Criminal Defense - State & Federal
- Sex Offenses
- Child Internet Pornography
- Rape & Drug Offenses
- Personal Injury
- Police Abuse
- Sexual Abuse Plaintiff
- Title IX
- School Negligence
- Drugs & Guns
A native of Northern Indiana, Charles graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2000 with a bachelor's degree in accounting. In the fall of 2000, he matriculated at the Indiana University, Bloomington Maurer School of Law, and graduated from the University in May of 2003.
Following law school, Charles spent seven (7) years as an attorney with the Marion County Public Defender Agency, the last five (5) of which were spent exclusively handling major felony cases. During his time as a Public Defender, he litigated dozens of jury trials from a wide array of charges including murder, sex offenses, and high level drug offenses.
Charles joined Sweeney Law as an associate in April of 2011 before becoming a founding partner in Sweeney Hayes LLC, the predecessor firm to Hayes Ruemmele LLC in January of 2014. Since, joining Sweeney Law and throughout his time at Hayes Ruemmele LLC, Charles has continued actively trying jury trials in federal and state courts throughout Indiana.
Charles has secured not guilty verdicts from juries on major felony charges such as attempted murder, rape, molestation, robbery, felon in possession of firearms, and drug dealing. He has also achieved acquittals on less severe charges such as theft and possession of narcotics.
Charles has represented victims of abuse in both state and federal courts, and has represented individuals in Title IX actions at universities all across Indiana.
Charles is a graduate of the inaugural National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer's (NACDL) White Collar College at Stetson University in the spring of 2012; as well as the Indiana Public Defender Council Trial Institute.
Charles is licensed to practice law in any county in the State of Indiana, as well as the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, Eastern District of Michigan, the Middle District of Tennessee, and the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Indiana University at Bloomington School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- J.D. - 2003
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. - 2000
- Major: Accounting
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer’s (NACDL) White Collar College at Stetson University
- Indiana Public Defender Council Trial Institute
- Marion County Public Defender Agency, Attorney
- Sweeney Law, associate, 2011 to 2014
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit