Photo of attorneys Ruemmele and Hayes walking outside
Photo of attorneys Ruemmele and Hayes walking outside

Over 50 Years of Experience

Our collaborative approach allows us to see a case from various angles to identify all legal defenses.

  1. Home
  2.  → FAQ & Resources

FAQ & Resources

These resources are provided to help people navigate our complex legal system. If you need additional help, we invite you to contact us. We firmly believe that no one should stand alone.

Indiana & Federal Child Pornography Penalties

Removal From The Indiana Sex Offender Registry

Indiana & Federal Marijuana Penalties

Chronological case summary (CCS) of your criminal, civil or traffic case and the ability to track the progress of your case in the courts

Find and purchase your accident report online.

Indiana Department of Correction: links for offender locator, facilities information, visitation information and sex offender registry

FAQ – Criminal

If You Are Questioned By The Police…

You may be a suspect and not know it. The police are not obligated to tell you that you are a suspect. In fact, they may not even read you your rights. They will tell you as little as possible about why you are being questioned. They may try to get you to cooperate by downplaying what they already know. They may ask to look at your phone. If they appear at your residence, they may ask to come in, look around, ask to see your computer. If you are in your car, they may ask you to step out, search your vehicle or your person, smell your breath and your clothes.

Don’t take a risk you do not want to take without first contacting an attorney. Your cooperation may not pay off. Contact an attorney for a consultation before you do something that could hurt you.

Contact Hayes Ruemmele LLC by calling 317-978-9779.

What happens if the police or federal agents show up at my house to ask me questions?

If law enforcement officers are at your house to question you, the first thing you should do is step outside of your house and close the door. Ask for a business card and tell them that your attorney will contact them. The police will try to get you to talk by saying such things as “I just want your side of the story,” or “We just need you to clear up a few things.”

Remain firm, and tell them your attorney will make contact. Go back inside your home. Then immediately call a lawyer to defend your interests. The police do not usually attempt to question targets at the beginning of an investigation but only after the investigation is complete. The police come to your house with their minds made up that you are guilty, and nothing you say will change their minds. Many times, the police will try to question you at your house even when they already have an arrest warrant. Do not give a statement without a lawyer present.

For a federal or Indiana criminal defense lawyer, call 317-978-9779 to speak with the lawyers at Hayes Ruemmele LLC.

What happens if the police or federal agents come to your house to execute a search warrant?

Get a copy of the warrant, and give no statements. Get the business card of the lead investigator, and call a lawyer. Even though a warrant exists, do not consent to the search or voluntarily turn over any items for inspection.

If you are not immediately arrested, it does not mean that criminal charges will not be filed against you later.

For a federal or Indiana criminal defense lawyer, call Hayes Ruemmele LLC at 317-978-9779.

What happens after you are arrested?

An experienced defense attorney is your first line of attack to respond to the charges. If you have not been released, an attorney will assist your family in securing your release from jail.

Following that, the process of obtaining the evidence that the prosecution has against you begins. This is known as discovery and can take some time. Once you receive the discovery, you and your lawyer will review the evidence and explore defenses and case weaknesses.

Some of these weaknesses will form the basis for motions seeking to exclude evidence because of constitutional violations committed by the police. The discovery path leads to negotiations toward a resolution or to a trial before a jury or a judge.

When you work with Hayes Ruemmele LLC, you will be the ultimate decision-maker through all of these phases of prosecution, but you will not be alone.

For a federal or Indiana criminal defense lawyer, call Hayes Ruemmele LLC at 317-978-9779.

How do I find a good lawyer?

First, you need to know that your lawyer is experienced in criminal defense. Even if your case is resolved by a plea agreement, experience matters. Does your lawyer:

  • Have a reputation for fighting clients?
  • Know criminal law?
  • Raise the question of constitutional violations?
  • Keep you apprised as to what is happening in your case?

You need to know the answers to these questions before choosing your lawyer.

Many lawyers claim to practice state and federal criminal defense. Some lawyers will quote you a low price, and some will quote much higher prices. An experienced lawyer will frequently cost more than a lawyer who is new to criminal defense. Your job is to determine who will do the work required and balance that against both financial and personal costs.

For a federal or Indiana criminal defense lawyer, contact Hayes Ruemmele LLC.

FAQ – Civil Litigation

What is civil and business litigation?

Filing a complaint in a civil law court starts a lawsuit. If you file the complaint, you are the plaintiff. If you are being sued, you are the defendant.

The date the lawsuit is filed is critical for determining deadlines. Lawsuits include cases when you have been injured by a drunk driver or you caused a car collision.

Business litigation involves business disputes such as contract and wage disputes, severance agreements and terminations.

If you need a lawyer in bringing a lawsuit or defending against one, contact the trial lawyers at Hayes Ruemmele LLC.

What is the statute of limitations?

The statute of limitations is a fancy term for time limit. Lawsuits must be filed within the statute of limitations.

If you have been injured in an accident, you must typically file a lawsuit within two years of the date of the injury. If you do not file the lawsuit within the time limitations, your claim will be vulnerable to dismissal.

There are, however, exceptions. If you or your company has legal claims to enforce, it is important to not sit on your rights and to promptly consult with an attorney regarding the merits of your claims.

If you need a lawyer in bringing a lawsuit or defending against one, call the trial lawyers at Hayes Ruemmele LLC.

What happens once the lawsuit is filed with a civil court?

A summons and copy of the complaint are then served on the defendant or defendants, who have a specified period of time to file an answer (or other response, such as a motion) to the complaint. Then discovery and motion practice begin.

If the litigation does not voluntarily settle or get disposed of through motion practice, it will then go to trial or, in certain cases, to alternative dispute resolution. If the case is dismissed or goes to trial, you or your company can appeal the decision under certain circumstances.

If you need a lawyer in bringing a lawsuit or defending against one, send us an email or call Hayes Ruemmele LLC at 317-978-9779.